Children do in fact have several different needs.
1. Physical Contact & Belonging
3. Protection (physical/psychological)
5. Withdrawal (taking a break)
Some ways that parents can help children get these needs met is to
1. Offer physical contact freely.
2. Teach children to contribute.
3. Teach assertiveness and forgiveness.
4. Allow age appropriate/situation appropriate choices.
5. Teach kids to take breaks for rejuvenation and relaxation, and then go back to doing hard things.
If we can teach these things to our children, it will be extremely beneficial to our children. They will have great emotional and mental health and be prepared to face the world around them. If you are a parent and want to learn more, some great parenting resources are listed below.
Parenting With Love: Making a Difference in a Day By: Glenn Latham
Unconditional Parenting By: Alfie Kohn